We are delivering D.Start Ignite in partnership with Defence Science and Technology Group. Delivered under the Next Generation Technologies Fund, D.Start Ignite is looking for emerging and future technologies with the potential to provide game-changing capabilities for Australia's defence industry.
About D.Start Ignite
Custom-built for research teams and SMEs working on science or technology with dual defence and civilian application, D.Start Ignite is a free 11-week learning experience that combines expert knowledge with powerful connections to increase opportunity for translation – at pace.
Delivered remotely to your team of two to five people, this pre-accelerator program is designed to fast-track your understanding of how to do business with the defence industry.
We'll support your team to test paths for your IP, know-how or technology through a process of customer discovery and market validation.
What teams will get out of D.Start Ignite
Every team's pathway is different, so what your team gets out of D.Start Ignite will depend on what you are seeking to achieve.
- Support and guidance from expert facilitators and mentors
- Develop strong networks amongst stakeholders and industry
- Develop an understanding of how to engage with the Australian Defence Force as a customer
- Free to participate and all intellectual property (IP) and equity remains with you or your institution.
How D.Start Ignite is delivered
D.Start Ignite is currently delivered online over six days of facilitated sessions. The sessions are spread over 10 to 11 weeks, with the first two days in week one, and the remaining four at fortnightly intervals. Your team will also have six, half-hour coaching sessions with your facilitators and be connected with an innovation mentor to support you on your progress through the program.
What time commitment is required?
The program requires moderate effort and allocation from teams.
Each team member should allocate at least one day per week for the whole 11 weeks.
Who can participate in D.Start Ignite
To participate in D.Start Ignite, you must apply with a team of two to five people, with a science or technology with dual defence and civilian application. You can apply either as a research team or SME. If applying as a research team, only one person needs to be a researcher at an Australian research organisation.
The rest of your team may include anyone else you think will add value to your team, for example:
- your colleagues
- people from other research organisations
- community representatives
- industry partners
- university students
- someone from your organisation involved in research services, tech transfer, communications.
If you are a small team, think about who else you could involve in D.Start Ignite to strengthen your group.
All team members should be based in Australia for the duration of the program.
How to apply
Applications to participate in the Autumn 2022 cohort of D.Start Ignite have now closed.
Applying to participate in D.Start Ignite is a simple, two-step process:
- Submit an online application: Each team is required to fill out an application via the online application portal. Access to the portal will be made available when applications open. Submitting the application will trigger an email to all team members listed in the application where they can confirm that their personal details are correct and agree to the terms and conditions and privacy notice.
- Application review and evaluation: At the closure of the application period, all research team applications will be reviewed by representatives of their lead organisation. This is to ensure that each team has engaged their sponsoring institute and has full support to participate in the program.
Each application is evaluated by multiple experts from our extended network. The highest rated applications will be selected and invited to participate in D.Start Ignite.
Applications are evaluated against how clearly they have articulated the following points:
- the problem that their idea/solution addresses
- the identified potential end-users or customers of their idea
- the solution and value proposition for their idea.
Successful teams will be notified approximately four weeks after the application closing date. To confirm the offer of a place in the program, each member of the team will need to complete an online form and their lead organisation will need to sign a participation agreement.
All applicants will be able to access detailed feedback from the evaluation process to help them refine and continue to work on their ideas.
Contact our D.Start team if you have any questions about the program.
Subscribe to our mailing list to be the first to hear the news and updates from all our innovation programs.